Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh, the memories!

Tonight I've had fun reading through some of my old journals. An event triggered the reading but I won't bore you with details here...I'll leave those safe within the covers of my journal. Sorry, you'll have to talk with me in person if you want to know more. A friend also recently inspired me to do more journal writing (thanks! You know who you are because I told you how your writing got me to start writing again!)
Anyway, I was reminded again of the importance of journal writing today. I love having a blog but I don't want to post the personal details of my life here for all to read. I'll only give you the highlights here. I don't know who will actually read my ramblings in the future or the volumes of journals I've written but I'm recording my history and that's what matters. If nothing else it helps trigger my memory when details become fuzzy. It's fun to look back and see how I've changed over the years. If you currently don't write in a journal I challenge you to try. You might thank yourself someday!

I like this quote I found about journal writing:
***
"A journal isn’t just for people in the future;
it also has value now, for you.
Your journal can be one of your best friends.
When there’s no one else you can talk to,
you can tell it to your journal.
Share with your journal all your joys, hopes, and successes.
But also share with it your frustrations, problems, and failures.
Writing about your problems can help you
come up with solutions as you think through them.
As you express your thoughts in writing,
your journal can also help you make difficult decisions,
get rid of anger, think clearly when you’re confused,
and understand yourself better. As you read your journal,
you can be reminded of blessings you may have forgotten.
And your faith and testimony can be strengthened
as you read again and again of sacred
personal experiences you have recorded over the years."
***
A Journal for Today and Tomorrow
By Jeffrey S. McClellan
--Find it on LDS.org in the gospel library,
he gives great ideas for journal writing--

3 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks Rachel for your comments. I love my journals. I learn SO much about myself from them. Plus, it helps me remember details.

Is this the same Jeff McClellan from our hometown?

See ya,
Susan

Anonymous said...

good thoughts Rachel. I wondered too if it was Jeff McClellan that Jeanie was friends with in HS and is now the editor of the BYU magazine.

you need to fill me in on the details of your memory trigger. Who contacted you? I am glad that you are happy.

Rachel said...

I don't know if it's the same Jeff McClellen Jeanie knows. I just did a search on the church website for a good article and that's what came up.
Becky, it was a guy I kind of dated a few years ago. Not much to tell at this point.