Saturday, January 16, 2010

On Top of the World

Today I literally walked over 12 miles...no wonder my feet are tired! My sister has been wearing her pedometer every day. I joked about feeling like I walked 10 miles yesterday but today we really did (on a pedometer about 2000 steps equals 1 mile, we went over 25000!). We packed in a lot of fun in between all that walking. We started the day by going to Coney Island where we saw the New York Aquarium and ate Coney dogs. The walruses and otters were my favorite thing to watch at the aquarium. I was disappointed that the penguins were hiding because of the cold (they were South African Penguins) but I did manage to see 3 of them poke their heads out of their nest. We took a stroll on the boardwalk before heading north.





The next stop was Wall Street where we bought discount tickets to see Mary Poppins tomorrow afternoon. Then we went to the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art). Talk about visual overload! We saw so much wonderful art it was hard to take it all in. My favorites were the Van Gogh, Picasso and Rembrandt paintings we saw. You could spend a week in the Met and still not see everything!

We took a Taxi from the Met down to the Empire State Building just because we were so tired and so we could have the experience of a NYC taxi ride. At the Empire State Building we rode on the Sky Ride which is a helicopter simulation showing all of the main attractions and sites around NYC. It was narrated by Kevin Bacon and made me a little motion sick but it was still pretty entertaining. My favorite was actually seeing NYC at night from the observation deck on the 86th floor! It's so beautiful to look at!


We bought NYC style cheese cake in Grand Central Station where we got a train to head back to the hotel. We were blessed to have a bus waiting for us when we stepped out of the subway station. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be here! I really have been blessed with so much! Today I gave a homeless man a banana and some trail mix, I've never seen a more grateful person dive into a banana. I hope we all take more time to help those around us.

No comments: