Well, it's not really secret. I actually just pulled it off the internet and made a few slight adjustments to fit my taste. Take a look here at the website I used, it shows some helpful pictures. You can also see my previous post for more pics. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out.
Dough
1 c water
3/4 c butter (real butter, not margarine)
3 to 3 1/2 c flour
2 tsp salt
pinch paprika
Heat water and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter has melted. Mix flour, salt, and paprika in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the warm liquid in and stir. Work the flour into the dough until you get a wet, oily dough. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
Filling
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced (I used green pepper)
1/2 tsp beef bouillon paste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 lb ground beef
salt
1 small potato, peeled, finely diced and boiled
1/3 c raisins
8 green Spanish olives, pitted and chopped (I used black olives)
3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and chopped
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, bell peppers, bouillon, paprika, red pepper, and cumin until the onions are soft. Add beef, cook until beef is browned. Season to taste with salt. Place filling in a large bowl and cool (I put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes). When cool add potatoes, raisins, olives, scallions, and egg. Mix just before you are ready to roll out the dough.
Preheat oven to 400F. Tear off about 12 golf-ball sized pieces of dough. Roll out dough balls on a lightly floured surface into 5" circles. Place a small handful of filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold over and press edges firmly to seal. Rope pinch the edges tightly (here's a great video that shows you how). Place empanadas on a cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. They keep well in an air tight container in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer.
No comments:
Post a Comment