Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Master's Hand

On Friday this past week I went to the BYU MOA to see the Carl Bloch exhibit. It is amazing and so beautiful! Everyone should go see the exhibit. It will only be here through May 2011 so don't wait too long. You might not recognize Carl Bloch's name but if you are Christian then I'm sure you will recognize his work. For example:

Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda

The exhibit has five of Bloch's eight altar pieces that hang in different churches throughout Denmark and Sweden. The altar piece is usually the centerpiece to a church. They are very large and the subject matter is sacred due to their placement above the altars where people take communion. For this exhibit BYU curators tried to create a setting that is similar to the churches where the altar paintings come from. Here is one of my favorite paintings from the exhibit:

Christ and Child

I also really like this one of Thomas.
There is so much depicted in this one painting!
Doubting Thomas

I pulled the pieces I posted here from the Hope Gallery. You can see Bloch's paintings, sketches, altar paintings, and more at this online gallery. Even better, click here today to reserve your free tickets to go see this beautiful exhibit for yourself.

An added bonus to the BYU exhibit is that you can rent an iPad for $3 (yep, you read that right!) so you can listen to information about the paintings while you sit and enjoy looking at them. The iPad has interactive activities that include panoramas where you can see the churches that house Carl Bloch paintings. For those of you that aren't able to come to the exhibit, click here to see some of the panoramas from the iPad tour.

No comments: